Monday, July 27, 2009

Just Got My De Lizza Book




I am SO excited. Just got my "signed" edition of "Memoirs of a Fashion Jewelry Manufacturer." by Frank R. DeLizza. It was published in 2007 and it is a year by year look at the development of DeLizza and Elster or Juliana Jewelry from the man who designed it, himself.

These are available for purchase on his website, along with jewelry from original renderings. The link is in the left column under Jewelry by DeLizza.

Some black and white photos, some renderings of designs (my favorite part) and other color photos, it is a highly readable account. Most of this is written in English, but, if you are like me and can read Italian, you should have no trouble with several letters shared at the end of the book. This is part bibliography, part history of a family and all history of a business built in America.

If this was some of the first jewelry that you, like me, experienced, then this is for you. My mother moved out West and married my father in the 1950's. Both were children of immigrants being born in America--my mother being the daughter of Czech parents and being second generation American, and my father being 1st generation American by Volga-Duetsch parents. (Laub and Straub--holla!) My grandmother used to send my mother jewelry every Christmas for awhile. Earrings and a brooch. We used to get a 64 package of crayons--something we never would have bought--and my most prized present for years.

I looked forward to all of grandma's packages--so sparkly and colorful. When I got older, she would sent us costume jewelry, as well. My mother wore the jewelry to church each Sunday during winter and fall--always the brooches and never the earrings. It was her special jewelry and was never played with. As I aged, it was what I was given by my mother and it was some of the only pieces that were not stolen by thieves during the week my dad passed away. These pieces are exquisite and timeless and no doubt I will pass them on at some point to my niece or her children someday--but now I still wear them and enjoy them.

Anyway, I 'll have to jump into this book and let you know more about it as I read it. Thanks for the book, Frank!

No comments:

Post a Comment